Ghost + Repost

Rework with a vertical crop:

Rework with a slight crop from the left:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Inspired by @Ed_Lowe’s suggestion for an alternative crop of an image I shared a few days ago, I picked out this shot.

It’s a waterfall on the island of São Miguel. I had quite a lot of fun shooting it from different angles and with different SS.

Specific Feedback

Is there anything that can be improved in Postprocessing?
I’m not sure about the crop. Would you prefer a tighter crop (maybe 1x1)?

As always, any feedback is welcome!

Technical Details

Cropped quite a bit (50 %, the original image was portrait format)
Processed with DxO Pure RAW 3
Basic Adjustments in LR
Adding some contrast selectively in PS

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

[wrap=template key=“critique”]

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
    [/wrap]w
1 Like

Wonderful!! I could see it with a little crop from the left to move the fall a little off center. With a vertical / portrait crop, centered feels better but with a landscape crop having the fall centered doesn’t feel quite right. But I love how the SS has caught the lace-like patterns in the water.

I have a set of similar images of Bridalveil Fall in Yosemite – if I haven’t posted one I may put it up.

1 Like

Jens, the suggested crop idea by @Ed_Lowe brought out a fine scene here. I think in the past most of us avoided ANY crops as almost taboo of leaving film on the cutting room floor. Over time that went by the wayside for the most part and all kinds of ideas have flourished as we now see here… :+1:

1 Like

Yes, a vertical format is more suitable for a vertical subject. There is some secondary water falling on the right so maybe a slightly offcenter composition would be good. I would be curious to see what bringing up the luminosity of green would do to the image.

1 Like

This makes for a wonderful companion piece to your other images of this lovely waterfall Jens. I love the textures and details in the falling water and the greens of the moss covered rock face are simply gorgeous. I think horizontals of vertical subjects works quite well sometimes as in this case. I could see a small crop from the left to move the falls slightly off center for a little more visual tension. I think this one is my favorite so far.

1 Like

While I find this an interesting alternative, and I think it would be great if displayed as part of a series with the prior two, as individual images I prefer the first two posts. I just love that rock at the bottom of the falls.

1 Like

@Diane_Miller, @Paul_Breitkreuz, @Igor_Doncov, @Ed_Lowe, @John_Williams
Thank you very much for your feedback.

I followed your advice and cropped the image slightly from the left edge. Additionally, I pushed the greens a bit, as suggested by @Igor_Doncov.

Your comments about a vertical crop have motivated me to add another version.

I can’t wait to see them.

I can well imagine that you have to be economical with film when taking photos. Since I started taking photos in 2018, I was used to being wasteful with digital resources right from the start. :see_no_evil:

I also prefer the images that include the interesting rock. The original crop of this image here also includes it. But unfortunately, the place where the water meets the rock looks very messy, which is caused by the short shutter speed.

1 Like