Giraffe

I was pretty close to this Giraffe, they are slightly curious and will sometimes come quite close to your vehicle.
I was flipping between portrait and landscape and zooming in and out trying to give some emphasis on just how big these fantastic animals are, but I then chose to deliberately skew the perspective to try a somewhat unconventional shot. I’m trying to make it look as if I’m struggling to fit it all in.
I like it, it makes me smile…but then I was there.
It may infuriate you.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Shame about the missing front foot. Not paying enough attention to detail.

Technical Details

Lumix GX7
Lumix 12-60mm
1/800 f6.3

1 Like

Ryan, this is so unusual. I would never have thought to tilt the camera…my wife did it all the time when we were shooting weddings…but it just doesn’t come to my mind.

Having said that, I think this really accentuates the tallness of the Giraffe. I would wish for the foot/hoof not to be cut off, but not a huge deal. I think this is a very creative image.

1 Like

Thanks David, but probably not to everyones’ taste

Ryan, that perspective works to fit pretty much all of him into the frame. I remember when that was a thing people did some years back with snapshots, so I probably wouldn’t have thought to try it to get the shot of him. That is what you call thinking on your feet. They are very curious animals. Glad that you were able to get so close to him that he barely fit into the frame, even tilted.

1 Like

Hi Ryan,

These are really amazing animals! I’ve only seen them in local zoos, they do come close enough to make you wonder if backing up would be a good idea :roll_eyes:
Someone in another group said they had been licked by one of them and I don’t doubt it.
What a wet kiss that would be, I see the drool hanging from this one too.

Cool that the birds are clinging to his neck the way they are.

I remember when tilted images were a big thing as @Shirley_Freeman mentioned.

Creative and fun to do even nowadays :slight_smile:

I was curious how this would work rotated 90° CCW, it does seem to work in that orientation as well IMHO. (6 of one, half a dozen the other?) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the comments. I really like your rotation Merv.
So tilted images were a big thing once! Wow, who would have thought it, it was fun to do but I will probably keep my camera level for now.

1 Like

An interesting solution you arrived at Ryan. I’m not infuriated, I’m tired of tilting my monitor, lol. Lighting and detail are great and you caught him looking right at you, which is always fun to catch. Nice to see his environment included too.

Hello Ryan,
Your approach doesn’t infuriate me in the slightest, on the contrary, it makes me laugh as it is so obvious from the picture what is the story behind it :slight_smile:
As you say, it won’t be for everyone, as the sloping horizon is very much not done. Although funnily creative, I have to admit it disturbs me a little bit as well. Would have been a great approach in more bushy circumstances though :slight_smile:
All the best
Ingrid.

Thanks Ingrid, that’s an interesting idea, I guess bushes wouldn’t have such a distinct horizon