Glass and natural pattern

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was in a restaurant and saw this idea. Another grab shot. just something you see and instantly take a photo. I did three frames and moved on.

Specific Feedback

I edited the best i could on this photo… few years ago… I thought the refection on to the table was pretty cool. Lots of lines and contrast. Quick shooting and try to capture the moment I saw this photo idea. I feel sometimes we think things too much, and we lose that spontaneity . Something different !!! just my opinion. Photography for fun. !!!

Technical Details

ISO 800 Shutter 80 and f 18 this is a pretty good guess because i was shooting a lot with these settings Hand held and quickly done.

Thank you Gill for reminding us that fun should play a significant part in our work. I agree that we often overthink and can’t just take an image because we like what we see and do not bother with not having the right lens or leaving the tripod back home. I really enjoy using my iPhone for these kinds of images.
I like the edit (it’s monochrome - what’s not to like?) and the crop with the negative space in the upper right. The simplicity leaves room for thought. I like it.

Hi Gill,

This is a prime example of “See the Light—Shoot the Light”, the subject matter is certainly important but the light is what triggers our emotions. In other words, you could look at the glass and table a hundred times and not pay any attention to it until we see it in the right “Light”.

I like the composition with the light projecting the swirling patterns of highlights and shadows created by the texture of the glass onto the the dark micro grain in the Indonesian Mahogany (at least that’s what it looks like to me) in the table.

A wonderful candid moment that will surely become memorable for you :slight_smile:

Thanks for showing interest and understanding the fun of just taking a shot that captured an interest for that one moment. The light is what the photo is about and captured my instant interest. The glass creating the lines on the table. The napkin added to the lines.
Thanks again. :camera_flash::camera_flash::camera_flash::camera_flash:

1 Like