Glen Ellis River

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

In June of 2023 my brother and I spent three days in NH during some wet weather and were rewarded with several images that we were quite happy with. This scene of the Glen Ellis River was captured on our hike down to Glen Ellis Falls. Unfortunately I did not take any images from the base of the falls as there was just way to much spray. After we left I was kicking myself for at least not trying to capture a few images.

This was my first time to this location, but it not will be my last. Next time I will just have to keep wiping the lens and camera until I get the shot.

Specific Feedback

I am pleased with the image, but if you notice anything please feel free to mention it.

Technical Details

Nikon Z7, Nikon 24-200 @ 32 mm, f 11 @ 1/10 sec, ISO 100, Kase magnetic CPL, cable release & tripod.

Waterfalls are so exciting to photograph, ya? I love how you captured how those giant rocks are framing the cascade and that there’s still some detail in the water. Nice composition with the water leading in a diagonal across the frame. I’m thinking you might be even more pleased if you brightened and varied the tones of the image. ie: bring the whites of the waterfall up just a tich to make the water more of the star of the photo, (they seem a bit grey), and maybe even experiment with brightening the greens in the tree on the right. It could be interesting to do the same with the trees creating the canopy over the top of the falls . I do like the dark pocket at the top of the falls though. Great depth!

1 Like

This is quite nice, Ed. There is a nice flow to the composition and the landscape orientation works really well. I’m being super nit picky but I removed some of the green cast from the water. Hope you don’t mind.
:vulcan_salute:

1 Like

Thanks so much @connie4 and @Michael_Lowe for your thoughts; always appreciated.

@connie4 : I will play around with your suggestions and see what I come up with.

@Michael_Lowe : Don’t mind at all; thanks for taking the time to do a rework.

I LIKE it!