Glowing Ghost /w revision

Original Post:

Image Description

Another image from Otter Crest Loop during the Oregon Coast trip with @John_Williams last October. This image was taken just around the corner from Ghosts. I wandered around looking for something different and past a curve in the road the light was a bit different. I saw the glowing lichen and moss on this tree and attempted to get something a little different from my normal images. I hope it works.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I’m not sure the comp works here. I like the way the green seems to glow in this fog but …

I also tried a lighter, more hi-key approach to emphasize the fog more but the glow seemed to get lost.

Technical Details

Nikon D850, 70-200 at 102mm, ISO 64, f 8, 1/160 second handheld

3 Likes

I would lighten and simplify this image. I added a whitish frame because I think the default dark background makes it even darker.

1 Like

Steve,

Even though we know what this is, I still find this to be quite mysterious for some reason. Initially I thought the angle of the tree was odd. What I mean is that, are these branches coming off a main trunk out of view, OR is this the main part of the tree and it’s really leaning over? I guess that’s part of the mystery.

The highlighted lichen/moss really makes the image though which allows the foreground be be separated by the vertical trunks in the background. Fog is so “cool” to work in and photograph. Like Forest used to say, “You never know what you’re going to get.” :smile:

With that I thought I would try my hand at this one. Similar to Igor’s in the sense that my alternation is a far cry from your original and so not sure if this fits your experience of the scene. I slight tightening of the image as the little tree in the LLC and the splitting of the two branches was a little source of tension. Then I also significantly brightened. I think the lichen/moss still steals the show, but I’m not sure if the brightness kills the mood you are after. As always, just an alternate view. Love the mystery and mood of your original.

My initial impression, before I saw @Lon_Overacker’s version, was that the image felt very dark. For some reason foggy, low-contrast, images like this seem to feel “right” to me when they are high key. The darker versions make me think of dim lighting, as opposed to foggy conditions. For that reason I like the way that Lon lightened the image; it feels more foggy. Otherwise no nits. I especially like the contrast of the twisted and angled foreground tree against those straight soldiers behind.

Thank you @Igor_Doncov, @Lon_Overacker and @John_Williams for your comments and suggestions. I added a new version above. In LR, I added a little midtone luminance and exposure and decreased contrast. This brought the lighting to about the same as Igor’s version. To me, this brought it much closer to what I remember seeing at location. I also cropped some from the top, left and bottom.

Just for background info, the scene at this location, even though it was just around a curve in the road, had a bit less fog and the background tees were in deep shadow. There was a little light hitting this tree, though highly diffused.

2 Likes

Steve,

Repost looks great! Thanks for taking the time and considering the suggestions!

Steve, your repost is wonderful. Awesome image, well seen and well captured.

I just found this – wonderful subject and lighting. I think the crop and lightening on the RP are perfect!