Gnarly Chaos

I got the tighter shot uploaded

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another from Harris Beach. (I’m not close to exhausting my supply) I love old trees and dead falls so when I spied this large driftwood log I gave it a pretty good going over. I couldn’t get closer and all I had with me was my 24-105. I got some tighter shots on the knots with my phone but it’s been giving me a hard time downloading to my computer. Trying to come up with a work around and if I do I’ll post it later.

Specific Feedback

Is this too busy? I like all the myriad textures and details but does this relatively wide view appeal to you?

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
Sony FE 24-105 f4 G @ 105mm
ISO 400, 1/80 @ f16

I was looking at the first and was thinking a shot concentrating on that one knot would really work. Then I hit the forward arrow and there it was. I think the wider angle also works. It has enough curves closing in that it doesn’t lead one off the edge very much and there’s a lot to explore. I think the close-up would work better if you brought the exposure down to match the wide angle shot. For some reason with the brighter image that upper knot doesn’t have the same presence.

Gnarly micro-scapes look quite good to the eye. These are very nice. I like the horizontal version with the light gray against the red brown in the RH side of the image. Awesome…Jim

Bill, these are great “knotty pine” views…reminds somewhat my of “my favorite stump”. The swirls and texture mix are very attractive. I’d test some burning-in in the upper right corners of both to see how that works, although keeping the contrast in those areas also seems important.

Bill, both are very nice images. What a great find. I am sure you had a blast photographing the old stump. I will definitely have to look around my brother’s farm for old stumps and logs the next time we get to go to the camper. You and @Mark_Seaver are inspiring me. I think others have given you some good advice already, so I will just sit back and enjoy your nice shots.

Wonderful find!! I think the iPhone shot is the stronger composition. It could do with the smallest bit of pulling down Highlights. Just the right half of the horizontal could also be wonderful, and maybe with Whites bumped up a tiny bit – so both are more balanced.

Fine work. I love the first one. The second one doesn’t grab me as much for reasons I can’t put my finger on. But I’d celebrate if I took the first one. It reminds me of the “golden ratio” aka "golden section.