Gobbler Closeup

Made a very quick side trip to the Smoky Mountains over the weekend while out of town for a wedding. Had some very friendly turkeys but not so welcoming weather.

This is one of the first photos I took. It was heavily overcast, and this was just after the sun had risen. All critiques are welcome, but I am curious how people feel about the background.

Techs:

D850
500mm f/4 AF-S II
f/4
ISO 3200
1/250
Tripod and gimbal

Terrific colors and excellent details. Maybe more of a Vertical crop?

The background works for me Lyle. Not sure what it is, but it’s vague enough that it’s not intrusive.

Thanks, guys. The BG consists of wooden fence posts. I usually try and avoid stuff like that, but he walked right in front of it. Given the low SS, this was one of the only sharp shots. I liked it because of the colors. Still getting used to processing in C1P, but its color-editing capabilities are fantastic. It also seems to handle high ISO shots better than LR does for my Nikon gear.

A great look at this colorful bird, Lyle. Colors and sharpness look great. But I see some softness in the edges between the head and background - perhaps some processing artifacts? I too think a vertical composition would suit this better.