Gold Coast

This shot was taken during sunset on the very last day of my trip to the Faroes this year. The islands were covered in high clouds for most of the day but the horizon stayed clear to the end. This created some incredible sidelight on these distant cliffs and the waterfall in the foregorund began to light up gold. It truly was a sight to behold!

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all feedback is more than welcome.

Technical Details

Sony a7 III with Sigma 100-400mm at 385.5mm
ISO 400, f / 11, 1/160 sec
This image is a composite of 3 shots taken just a few minutes apart. My post processing focused on seperating the tones in the fore- and background as well as adding regional contrast. I also did use Topaz Photo AI for denoise and shaprpening since the images were take in very strong wind.

8 Likes

Martin!!! Good to see you over here NPN!

I was thinking to myself, wow…this image is a stunner! I feel like I’ve seen this image on social media somewhere. This was one of those images that stuck to me because it’s such a striking scene. And having the opportunity to see this image large is a pleasure! The scene has incredible depth, nice luminosity, and a great comp to go with all the elements within the scene. To be honest, I don’t have much to add to this image. The only thing for me that I would consider, and this is a personal preference, is I would probably clone out the birds. You don’t need them! The scene is already great without them, because you have so many other interesting stuff going on.

This is a winner! :star_struck:

DT

1 Like

First of all thank you very much for the kind words @David_Thompson :grinning: You probably have seen this image on social media before since it is a rather well known spot in the Faroe Islands. Nevertheless I think that I was luck to capture some incredible conditions that make the shot stand out. Funny you say that with the birds because I was unsure myself if they added something to the image or not. I composited them in from another frame in post :sweat_smile:

Wow, this is an exceptional image, Martin. Wonderful light and luminosity all around. I agree that the birds don’t really add to the image. Well done.

1 Like

Martin, this is stunning! I was at this very spot earlier in the year; will not bother working on the images I took from this perspective. :grin:This image is perfect. In particular, I like how the crevices line up to keep the eye wandering between the impeccably lit waterfall, and the mountains/cliffs behind it. Really well done!

1 Like

Martin,

Wow, such a stiking and grand seascape; clearly defined by the gorgeous light. The waterfall up front? You couldn’t script something like this… What a fantastic phenomenon.

Love everything about this - right down to the birds in flight - and thos perched on the rock!

Maybe just a skosh more shadow detail in the forward cliff… but that’s minor.

Glorious image!

Lon

1 Like

Thank you very much for all the kind feedback. I’m humbled :slight_smile:

This reminds me of horsetail falls in Yosemite in Mid February where the waterfall lights up with directional light if conditions are perfect. You certainly had perfect conditions to make this image. Wow! I actually love the birds in the frame and would keep them. I don’t find them distracting. The glow that’s being produced by the foggy and overcast conditions is what sets this image apart. I also love the sea stacks in the water right in the midst of the glow. I also think you could use a tiny bit of shadow recovery on the closest cliff face but only just a smidgen. This is a very small nit but this could also use a very slight counter clockwise rotation to level the water. Otherwise, just a really superb image that I’m really enjoying a lot.

1 Like