Golden Crowned Sparrow

At least I think this is a Golden Crowned. Taken last year in November near Vancouver BC

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Full frame image cropped to a pano format. I tried adding a bit of room behind tail but is got pretty messy. I was more interested to make sure I had ID of this sparrow correct.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Yes, this one is a GC Sparrow. I like the pose, comp, and BG. Good job on the DOF.

Great thanks David. I have another sparrow photo I am curious about but will give the sparrows a bit of a break for now.

Very nice GCS in a typical environment – they are common down here. If it were me, given the closeness on the left edge, I would remove some of the empty space on the right, maybe coming in halfway to the beak. It’s a very nice image with good sharpness and detail. It would be worth trying to add a bit to the left. Content-aware fill might work well here – it can be amazing.

Thanks @Diane_Miller. That was painless thanks to Google. Perhaps not quite enough but certainly much better.

Hi David,

These are sneaky little sparrows and you caught the important end out in the open. I wish that the tail of the bird was not concealed and the bright patch above the bird is a little distracting. There’s nothing that you can do about those, but next time, you can reposition your shooting angle to provide a more optimal composition. The sparrows head is nice and sharp and like that you caught it with some food in the bill. Well done…Jim

Hi David
Reframing does help wi the overall image and I agree with Jim, "I wish that the tail of the bird was not concealed but you caught the important end out in the open. " (or something like that.). Nice work.
Peter