The Crown of Gold

Golden crowned sparrow under filtered skies taken this morning.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: ISO 3200, 100-400 at 400 mm, F8, 2000th, no flash, handheld, A7R4, 70% of full frame, minimal processing and sharpening at 1%

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

A beautiful bird, David, and wonderful details and lighting. The perch, and his position on it against that lovely background makes for a really nice setting. Love the way he turned his head slightly for you.

I agree with Shirley. I like everything about this. That perch is sublime. You have a nice view of the yellow crown. Generally, I’d prefer less overlap between the bird and the perch, but there is a good amount of separation here. I also like the slightly structured BG, rather than a fully-smooth one. Nice work, and please mail me some of those mossy perches!

My only critique is that the image looks a little too green. I don’t know the bird or the setting, so I could be off. But what do you think about this?

RE: slight green cast? Could be a white balance issue. I did warm it up by 200 kelvin. Could also be perch reflection and the proximity of the bird to perch. On my calibrated monitor, it is really subtle and I need to look for the cast to identify it. Thanks…

Excellent detail and a nice pose and perch.