Golden-crowned Sparrow

Description:

Another image from a week ago when the snow was still coming down (it changed from snow to rain that day). This is a northern species that comes all the way down here to the 46th parallel to spend the winter so they’re not bothered with snow but they are feeder birds and fond of the dove and quail mix on the ground. As illustrated here, they’ll use trees as perches and places to hide when there’s a perceived danger.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? No.

Sony A7Riv, FE200-600 @ 600 mm, gimbal head mounted to blind, f/8, 1/160, iso 2000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Noise reduction with Neat Image, feather enhancement with Topaz Detail 3. Cropped to 8604x6180. Image taken at 8:57 am on February 14th.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

I didn’t know there was such a sparrow, Dennis but you have given us a nice look at one. Good details and an excellent BG, and the little bit of snow takes the image over the top. Nicely done.

Hi @terryb It’s closely related to the White-crowned Sparrow, but has a totally different song-rather whiny actually.

1 Like

A nice composition with good detail in the sparrow and a nice setting, especially with the snow. One of the more common birds at our feeders-they show up in late fall and usually leave the first week in May.

Lovely wintery feel to this one Dennis. I like the nice sly look over at you. Amazing file sizes.

Lovely perch against the evergreen boughs. Looks a tad dark to me, but that’s just me. I never knew about these guys either, so thanks for sharing!

Hi @Kris_Smith. The darkness was a bit intentional. I didn’t want to portray a gloomy winter day as being bright and sunny. I did bring the exposure of the bird up relative to the surroundings and it’s about the way you’d see it on a cloudy day in the open.

1 Like

Good catch on the Golden crowned sparrow. I really like the winter feel to this image. Well composed and nice detail.