Golden Hour Gardens

I usually like to go to at least one botanical garden each year (among other things). That didn’t work out this year, so I found some alternatives. What was unusual in this for me is that I don’t think I’ve ever been out at golden hour and sunset working on flower images. A friend started a flower farm/fresh cut business with a friend of hers, so I invited myself to see their blooming things in July. I really enjoyed the glow on and through the petals in the late evening. One of my favorite images is of them working among the glowing flowers (not included, lots of humans :smiley: ). Later, I found out about a local farm where they plant acres of sunflowers, and I was able to go a couple of evenings and shoot. I also tried to get out more at a county park this fall and my last shot was a first attempt at a frosty morning. I haven’t felt ready to try focus stacking, but maybe that’s something I should try to learn in 2021!

My collection is not very diverse, but it was fun. :smiley:

The Explorer

Looking Toward Tomorrow

Frosty Farewell to 2020

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No (none)

Fun is really all that matters Karla. You’ve got a wonderful collection of colorful images. Love the sunflowers in a row best. Nicely done.

Thank you, Linda. I think I’m still working on a balance of enjoying something I had fun making and wanting to have some nice or interesting images. Both is optimum, of course. :slight_smile:

Karla :iphone:

1 Like

Some beautiful flower images, Karla. I particularly like the second and fourth images.

@Dennis_Plank Thanks for pointing out the ones that stood out to you the most.

Karla, this is a fine collection of pictures. I especially like your opening shot, it’s very gentle and inviting, the beetle on the sunflower close up and the rows of sunflowers, where shooting from behind worked well and is not the typical “from the front” view.

@Mark_Seaver - Thanks for your comments. When I did the golden hour flowers, I wasn’t sure how people would like the warm glow since it does tamper a bit with the color we’re used to from higher daylight. It doesn’t seem like it’s a popular time of day for garden photography, but I rather enjoyed it.

A great collection of flower photos, Karla! I love the light on the flowers in the first photo and I think the second photo of “The Explorer” is an excellent, artistic composition that really stands out for me.

@Gary_Minish - Thanks for your comments. Both of those are outside of my norm, but I had fun branching out a bit. I think I need to experiment with thinking outside of the documentary and original crop more than I do. Unless I need to master that first… :slightly_smiling_face: