Goldfinch eating flower

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Taken outside my bedroom window. This goldfinch was chomping away on a flower. I thought it was pretty cute. Hope it isn’t oversaturated.

Specific Feedback

any

Technical Details

Iso 500, 200-500 500 mm, D750, F8, 250th

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Hi David, nice behavioral catch with the feeding bird. Composition looks good to me. Lowering saturation just a tad would be something to try I think. A fine image.

Hi David. Nice shot of this juvenile Goldfinch. They do have a habit of getting to flowers before they have a chance to set seed. I suspect the floral ovaries are quite tasty and probably full of nutrition. The saturation looks fine to me. For my taste, the Goldfinch and the perch seem a bit oversharpened, but the feathers at this stage are rather coarse and often look oversharpened when they’re not. The out of focus blossoms in the background have a strange halo, but I don’t know what could be done about it.

I like this, David. It’s well composed with a nice setting and a clean background. The colorful flowers add a lot and you have a nice activity pose with good detail.