Golgi apparatus

One of the largest organelles within the cell, it packages proteins into membrane-bound vesicles and sends them out to their destination.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Ice along the edge of a small creek with small round shapes which to me were reminiscent of Cell Biology and learning about organelles and vesicles in the cytoplasm of eukaryotic cells.

Technical Details

Nikon Z7, 24-120mm f/4 S, 120mm, ISO 64, f/11. 0.4 sec

Processed using luminance and color range masks, radial gradients, and other local adjustments.

1 Like

Excellent abstract, Steve. This would be one of those images in the category; “provide an image you think would make a good puzzle”…PERFECT FIT !

Hi Steve,
that is really a great abstract image. I can well understand why this ice surface caught your attention. There are so many different shapes and patterns to discover. The left half seems to be slightly warmer than the right. I love this subtle color contrast.

Oh yes, this will be a good challenge for any puzzle enthusiast.

Wonderful image.
Nice and simple.
I love the processing also.

Steve,

Well, you lost me at “cell biology.” LOL - But wow, what a fantastic scene! So many patters; to me looks like someone’s doodle pad or a sketch. I see numerous characters. It’s an image that one could stare at and explore for a long time. Very cool!

Great job processing too as the white edges of all the patterns really stand out. I too see the warm/cool and expect that is simply the material that is beneath the ice surface. And it’s not an issue either, just the observation.

The only suggestion and it’s not really a suggestion to make this better - but there are multiple tight crops available if you wanted to get a closer look at some of the patterns. But this is quite awesome as presented!

Lon

This image really grabbed my attention. And holds on. There is so much to explore in there. Well done.

Thanks @Paul_Breitkreuz , @Jens_Ober , @joaoquintela , @Lon_Overacker, and @DeanRoyer for your feedback! It’s a simple image but with many interesting compositional possibilities.

Steve, this is a very appealing abstract to my eye. You made good use of a pattern filling the whole composition while always keeping my attention within the frame. Starting to explore the image I am first drawn to the more prominent lines and shapes, but then I make time to discern and enjoy all the delicate and subtle details and textures. Finally the monochromatic character keeps all the parts aptly together in my opinion. Thanks for sharing.

Steve, wonderful abstract that conveys the story you were after. That is, it does look like a microscopic image of cells to me. Great patterns that keep my eyes exploring around the image. Nice uniform color although there is a small area in the upper left of center that is not as uniform as the rest of the image. You could add a color layer in Photoshop and select the blue color nearby and paint in that area with a low opacity. Great job regardless!

Thanks @Peter_Richter and @Alfredo_Mora for your helpful observations and suggestions!

Steve, the pattern here looks excellent and fills the frame beautifully. The white edges let the entire view pop nicely and add a good sense of depth. There are two bits near the bottom where there are clusters of fine lines (that look somewhat like pine branches) that I’ve enjoyed finding. I could see adding some contrast there to make those a bit easier to find.

Thanks, Mark, I appreciate your comments and helpful suggestion!

What a fabulous small scene, Steve! Well captured. It makes me think of drawings where the artist doesn’t lift their pencil. Very delicate and organic while also giving the impression if you study it long enough you’ll find faces, objects, animals, etc. Very cool!

To @Lon_Overacker’s point about compositional possibilities, I could see this making a nice diptych or triptych, which would create smaller panels with their own little stories and to highlight some of the more interesting patterns.

So many possibilities!