Good Morning Melody

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This image is from Bryce Canyon that I’ve been sitting on for a long time. I love the glow on the near wall juxtaposed to the rest of the image that is in deep shadow. Why have I been sitting on this? See below.

Specific Feedback

If you’ve been to Bryce, you know that the verticals and the horizontals never line up quite right because the whole place is a little bit out of whack. The trees generally are vertical but many of the hoodoos and the surrounding canyon walls have horizontal features that are just not quite horizontal. So, my question is, do the horizontals have to be horizontal to make this image work or not? That rear canyon wall has lines that that are leaning. Does it ruin the image?

Technical Details

D850, 80-400mm lens, ISO 250, F/11, 165 mm, tripod, Aperture Priority at -1, 1/60th

1 Like

This stopped me in my scrolling tracks. It was the vivid, luminous foreground against the soft purplish tones that struck me. Gorgeous.

The slightly tilted geologic bedding doesn’t bother me at all. I can tell from the erosional features (gullies, etc.) that the frame isn’t tilted.

1 Like

Hi David, I have never been to Bryce Canyon looks amazing! With regards to your question about the horizontals, they don’t necessarily have to be perfectly aligned to make an image work, especially in a place like this where the geological formations are inherently chaotic and asymmetrical. The slight tilt in the rear canyon wall adds to the character and authenticity of the scene, making the viewer feel the true essence of this natural wonder. It certainly doesn’t ruin the image; rather, it adds a dynamic element that reflects the reality of the landscape.

1 Like

Wonderful and different image from a spectacular place! In this case the horizontals pretty obviously aren’t horizontal – it doesn’t look like something that should be fixed. The fact that we’re looking down on them makes it even more excusable. The complex curvatures in the bottom hoodoos show us that we are looking at distorted formations, and that carries up to the top. Wonderful light! I love the soft glow at the bottom and the cool shadows in the mid-ground. The trees are a wonderful repetition of the hoodoos.

1 Like

Stunning image. I love the overall composition, the proportions between the lit and shadow areas get the early morning mood across, and the careful placement of the tree in the top right corner nicely anchors the whole image, it’s this little detail that makes it work for me.

The ‘horizontals’ don’t need to be horizontal, the trees, and particularly that tree in the top right corner, make it clear to me that they should not in fact be horizontals. Sure, you could probably ‘fix’ the top line with a keystone correction, but that would make it just another ‘land remade in the photographer’s image’, personally I think aesthetics should not get in the way of authenticity. The challenge with a landscape that ‘offends’ our acquired sense of aestethics is to make it clear to the viewer that what they see is not the result of the photographer’s sloppiness. That doesn’t just happen, that too takes work, and your image does that well.

1 Like

I love the light here David. The cool, shadowy backdrop adds a lot to the scene .

1 Like

Initially, I could have sworn this is upside down with the light area being the background. When my eyes adjusted, it became apparent it is not so. Wonderful light, and I like it as is-just as nature made it.

1 Like

I love that you have such great contrast with the foreground rocks mostly against the darker pines so that there is still magical light on the lighter parts of the background. As others have said, the tilted horizontals don’t bother me either. As @Tomas_Frydrych said, my eye seems to usethe tall pine on right in the background, as well as the pillar near center, as vertical references for the whole image.

Love @Jim_Gavin’s upside-down vase-face idea. I see that too and it just makes it even better. My only tiny comment is that the line between the bright foreground and the background seems a bit too sharp, maybe soften the transition a bit?

2 Likes

Stunning was my first thought, David. The colors for sure, but also the varied textures and terrain are wonderful. Having been to Bryce Canyon several years ago, I can appreciate all of the lines and “wackiness” you are describing. However, the lines, vertical or horizontal, do not bother me in the least. They are part of the uniqueness of the canyon. Let nature have it 's way and enjoy it. Just my humble opinion. Very nicely seen.

1 Like

Wow; with that lighting it almost looks like two photos merged. It reminds me of a reflection floating above the bottom of a pond. Wonderful.

The lines don’t bug me at all. You see these all over the west, and rarely are they level. Not a worry at all for me.

1 Like

The light and the color on the spires is very uplifting and wonderful. I guess that’s why people like Bryce so much. I also like the contrast between the spires and the dark background. It makes them even lighter. Personally I would provide less background and make it more about the gold. I’m sure you’ve thought of this already … and decided for the vertical. Nevertheless …

1 Like

Thank you for stopping by and giving me your thoughts on this image @Bonnie_Lampley , @Saundie , @Diane_Miller , @thomas, @Eva_McDermott , @Jim_Gavin , @Cathy_Proenza , @linda_mellor , @John_Williams , @Igor_Doncov . It certainly appears that angles don’t bother anyone so I appreciate that feedback. A few of you mentioned that tree in the upper right corner. I actually used that tree as one of my framing elements. In fact, I was so caught up in the use of that tree that I never even thought about how a crop would work. Thanks for the suggestion, Igor. You guys always see stuff I don’t. Terrific. Thanks again for your thoughts.

2 Likes

David, I certainly agree with what others have said. You have trees that grow straight, as far as I know, to tell you the answer to the rest of the lines in the composition. I am glad you are no longer sitting on this image. It is truely special. By the way, and it is only my opinion, I am not a fan of heavy borders.

Thank you, Barbara. I value your opinion. I use a border to make it look like a framed picture. I know it’s not for everyone but if I were to print this up and put it on the wall, it would have a similar matting in the frame. To me, it looks more like a finished product but again, I totally understand and value your opinion on the framing. Not many use it. There must be a reason. :slight_smile:

Super interesting photo, David. At first glance, my attention was on the top of the photo and I perceived with my peripheral vision that the dark material was dripping into the lighter material near the bottom. Then I noticed the lighter material was foreground spires. My eyes had deceived me! I tend to appreciate photos more that do that.

This photo has interest from top to bottom. As a trained geologist, I appreciate the unlevel bedding, not to mention all the other geologic treats at Bryce. My first visit will be in April so thanks for the head’s up.

Thanks for your comments, Matt. It is kind of a brain teaser……which one is the foreground and which one is the background. I actually didn’t notice it until it was brought up in an earlier post but I totally see it now.
Have fun on your trip. Hoping you’ll still have snow when you go as it makes for a much more dramatic place. Also, if you have a long zoom lens, bring it with you and try and capture some tighter more intimate images if you’re into that sort of thing.

1 Like

Thanks, @David_Haynes. Funny what others see that we don’t in our own images.

My long lens is almost permanently fixed to the body but I know I’ll also want to get some establishment and contextual images. I’ll bring all of them. As for the weather in April in southern Utah, I’ll take what I get and if snow falls, that will be a very interesting and cold vacation.

1 Like

Matt. I was there in May some years ago and it snowed one morning. Was melted by late morning, but was beautiful while it lasted. If it snows, rains or is just plain wet, the mud on the trails can get very slick and heavy. Have a great time

1 Like