Grape, Grass, Dandy, and Candy + Repost

Repost Below:

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Hi Folks,
I did a good bit of ICM a few years back, and this scene was colorful enough and patchy enough that I thought I decided to try it again.

I liked the way my camera movement created rectangular swatches of color from the grape hyacinth, candy tuft, and dandelions, and how the candy tuft and a few dead dandelions added some wispy white fibers to the mix.

What are your initial reactions?
Does it work for you (assuming that this kind of ICM and abstraction is your thing)?
Does any part of it not fit well with the rest?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Technical Details

4 second exposure and horizontal movements
Not much post processing, just a boost in exposure (it was deep shade) and contrast.

Specific Feedback

My goal with this was to capture the sunny, springy feel of a beautiful but unkempt scene.
Does it deserve more than a passing glance for you? If so, why, and how does it make you feel?
Does it have a springy, easter-ish vibe to it? That was my goal.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Dynamic image Marylynne! That’s what I love about ICM photography. Motion often gives images some spark and liveliness. Speaking of motion, I like the amount of it in your image. There is still enough texture to make the photo interesting especially the wispy white fibers. The colors are quite lovely and give me a Spring impression.

I’d like to suggest evening out the darker areas up top and boosting luminosity slightly in the center. The right edge is a bit bright and competes with the rest of the scene so I would recommend darkening that area a bit. You could also crop in if you like. Thanks for posting!

I like it, Maylynne. We don’t often see so many vibrant colors in ICM (except in the fall). I don’t think many people use it on small scenes and you’ve just inspired me to try it (once it quits raining). The distribution of colors in the image with the lighter shades at the bottom and the darker ones on top is the inverse of what we expect to see and adds some tension to the image as do the vertical lines which seem to cross the predominantly horizontal flow of the image. The only thing I see that I might want to change is that dandelion puff streak along the top edge-for some reason it doesn’t seem to want to be there in my universe, but it’s not a major issue in a fine image.

Thank you @Alfredo_Mora and @Dennis_Plank. I made a virtual copy in LR and and have made some adjustments to the top, the right, and the center. Walking past it again today, I think some of the vertical wisps were highlight edges of grass and hyacinth stems, but the dandelions blew off, so it could be either.

@Dennis_Plank: The top darker, bottom lighter is a result of the location of the scene. In Portland, we have lots of sidewalks separated from yards by retaining walls that place the yard at waist height or higher. It’s really a great way to look at small flowers. In this spot, a small weeping japanese maple arches over the flowers, creating shade that gets deeper the further in (translated to higher in the frame) making the top darker because it is deeper shade.

That top puff area bothered me too, but more because of the different, darker purple tone at the top of it. I just cloned over something more consistent to the rest. It’s all painting with the sensor and light anyway, so I treat ICM as a free-for-all once I get frames I like. This one was pretty much out of camera.

I’ll share a retouch above when I get another comment or two in case there is something else I’m not seeing.

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement.

1 Like