Great Blue Heron w/Repost

Repost with Peter’s suggestion:

Original

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias), Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge, Washingon, USA

Often photographed bird, mainly because they’re so cooperative…anyway, this was one of my first Avian images, taken in 2009. Ridgefield is a drive around refuge, and I saw the heron standing on the right side of the car, so I unrolled the back window and shot handheld out of the car. I really like the soft light of early morning and the burnt log he/she’s standing on. Anyway, have wanted to post this for a while. Hope you like it.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 1Ds III, EF 400 f/5.6, 1/400 sec @ f/5.6, ISO 400, Handheld shooting backwards.

1 Like

Stunning photograph and great DOF. Love this image!

Very nice composition. I like the log as well and the overall setting is good and I like the color of the water.

Hi David
You are correct about the early morning soft light and framing the Great Blue Heron on the burnt log. The Blue has great coloring and detail. I think you could try bring down the bright green background some. I believe it would help the Heron to stand out.
Peter

Peter, thanks for the comment and the suggestion. I toned down the green background. Posted above. Thanks again.

Repost is a noticeable improvement. Excellent pose and detail. The color balance of the repost is now more effective.

1 Like

Great shot, David, and the repost was a nice improvement on an already nice image.

1 Like

Very well done, David. A great environmental image of this heron.

1 Like