Morning Great Blue

I was visiting a garden early and came across this great blue heron. Captured a series of photos and this one stuck out. It was looking for breakfast and did catch its breakfast that morning which I captured, but happened so quickly

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Can provide if anyone wants.

@peterpainterly

What a great setting. All that green really sets off the heron and the reflections work well to enhance the scene. Well done.

1 Like

Living in a similar environment, I understand quite well the difficulties of balancing greens to everything else as well as working in deep shadows. I applied a radial filter to isolate most of the GBH and his shadow and as well, modified an Urban 6 ACR preset to charge the greens and yellows up a bit, while leaving the shadows pretty much alone. This also popped the reds on the left.

1 Like

Very nice, with a gorgeous exotic setting and wonderful reflections in calm water! I love the two reflections on the right and left that make circles. @Chris_Calohan has an interesting take. A gradient burn from the bottom is a possible addition. I had a feeling it needs a bit of CCW rotation, and looking at the eye and its reflection confirms that.

1 Like

Hi Peter
We have two photographs here, you have presented us with the Garden of Eden and Chris has given us a highly stylized Great Blue Heron photograph. Both photographs show a different view of the same seen. Very good work.
Peter

1 Like

Thank you, Allen!! I’m glad you like it.

Chris, thanks so much for your interpretation!! I did not think of bringing out the Heron too much from the scene as I wanted to work the shadows a bit and hoped that kind of put it more in focus along with the scene. I thought about bringing up the reds just like you did and mentioned, however I didn’t want to overpower the scene, if that makes sense? Just thinking along the lines of it I were to say, have this printed and framed - to see it everyday with some aspects of the scene being vivid and some pop, I feel like I’d get tired of it, just me. Really appreciate your input regardless!

Hi Diane. Thanks so much for your interpretation and feedback! I think what I’ll do when I have some time is take a look at this again and rework the image/scene with yours and Chris’s suggestions and share. :slight_smile:

Thank you, Peter. Really love how you took the two photos, that Chris and I shared and put them into words. Glad you appreciate the images!

A beautiful image, Peter. I love the large depth of field and loose composition of this image. The heron fits beautifully into the setting. I can see some of the suggestions as potential improvements, but this is a really sweet image as posted.

1 Like

Thank you Dennis! Really appreciate your feedback!