Great Blue Heron

Saw this heron this morning coming in for a landing at the neighborhood lake.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any. I cropped a little from the right otherwise it is full frame.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 90D, Sigma 150-600 C @ 283mm.
ISO 640, f6.3, 1/1600s, hand held

@allensparks.wildlife
1 Like

Wow what a perfect frozen moment. It almost looks like you used a fill flash…very nice. The splashes from the feet are a great touch. I like how all the reddish feather patches are exposed when they are in this position. You could try darkening the trees in the URC and see how that goes. The mids, too might need a lift.

Whoops, double post. I blame the tourists sucking up my bandwidth!

Incredible capture. I might not want to crop too much from the right - gives it somewhere to go. Might darken/fuzz the log? and it’s reflection on the left side.

Allen, what a nice stop action of this GB. The lighting puts all the attention on the star, and the splash behind him is a nice addition. I can’t think of anything to improve this.

A fantastic shot. The action, the light, the water splashes, it is perfect. You might consider entering a competition with it.

Hi Allen,

This is a fun one to look at. I like the toe drag with water drops. Fine as presented…Jim

Wonderful action with landing position. Good job on the exposure.

Very good landing shot, Allen. I like the water trail and the dark background contrasts nicely with the heron.

Hi Allen
The coloring and detail have produced a very nice looking Blue Heron. Any reason for the square framing?
Peter

Hi Peter, the dimensions are 12x16 not square. I thought the heron still had plenty of room to move into with a little bit of cropping.
Thanks,
Allen