Great Blue Skimmer

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Does the BG feel too distracting?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Technical Details

Sony A1
600mm, handheld
Exposure Time: 1/4000 sec
F Number: f/10
ISO Speed Ratings: ISO 6400
Exposure Program: Manual
Metering Mode: Multi-segment
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Focal Length: 600 mm

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Hi Sandy, initial reaction is that I like seeing the head on pose. BG doesn’t bother me much as the skimmer is resting on a wide reed and easy to pick out. The dragonfly just seems a tad soft. Still a fine catch.

Very pleasing view with good details. Getting enough DOF with these little beasts is not easy. The BG works well for me – these is a lot going on but the colors and tonalities are soft, with nothing jumping out. If you want to experiment, possibly the contrast in the left third could be brought down a bit and the yellows tamed a little.

I’m not sure I’ve seen these. The similar but smaller Blue Dashers are common in my area and I’m pretty sure they get smaller every year.

I like this, Sandy. The angle you chose to shoot it works very well and I love the background. Anthropomorphically, I like the smile on the face of this critter-it made me smile.

Sandy: Really nice management of the light. I like the shadows cast by the legs and the clarity of the head and wings. Nice find and a superb capture. >=)>