Great Blue with friends

Seen at Reelfoot Lake in Tennessee a few summers ago.

Canon 7D, 70-200mm IS II, 2x TC
ISO 800, f10, 1/1600s, hand held from boat.

Any comments appreciated.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@allensparks.wildlife

Beautiful environmental shot of this GB with those painted turtles. To me the GB isn’t a particularly attractive bird, but in this setting, you have done very well.
Minor - the GB could have helped by looking a little towards you

BTW, the turtles tip over after he flew ?

Love the wider shot to include the turtles. Good that you got everyone looking at you, more or less. I wonder if you could add a touch of contrast to the bird? He looks just a little flat. Also, there are several spots on the water. Not sure if they’re dust spots or something else. If dust spots, I’d probably clean them up.

Nice environmental scene. It looks as if the heron is on a boat taking the turtles downstream. You can’t do anything about the head positions and they don’t bother me. This was a nice catch.

Not much to say other than I like the composition. Well done.

This is a very unique environmental shot, Allen! It does look like the bird is doing the gondola taxi thing for the turtles :wink: I agree that a little extra contrast on the heron would help.