Great Egret, white on white

From the same foggy morning as the previous Egret post, before the fog burned off. Is there a category for bird WITH a stick?

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, 100-500 at 343, f/7.1, 1/2000 sec, ISO 2000. Cropped to 64% of the original pixels. Some basic global tonal work to bring up the exposure a bit. Into PS for NR but not noticeable at this size. Very slight Saturation increase.

1 Like

Wonderful, Diane. Great diagonal pose of the Egret. Detail in the feathers is outstanding and looks like a “filler” size twig for the nest. The white foggy background surprised me at how much the bird still stands out with great tonal definition. Nicely done.

Gosh, I love that white on white. Just a perfect exposure. IQ is excellent. My only nit is that, ideally, there’d be a touch better eye contact. Looking forward to more.

I really like this one, Diane. As noted, the white on white is really working here. I tend to disagree with Lyle on the eye contact. Part of the appeal of this image to me is that the Egret is focused on getting to it’s nest with that stick, not paying any attention to the photographer.

I like the composition with the diagonal egret. Well done.

White background works very well here. The tonal contrast and crispness of the bird really makes it stand out from the background. The stick in the beak keeps the photo of the bird from being just another photo of an Egret flying. Wonderful image.

Just catching up on the recent bird shots and wow I think this is as good as it gets. What a wonderful flight capture and full set of feathers, beautifully stretched legs. Wonderful detail throughout in the large version These birds are a marvel in the air and your image is testament.

Wow, this is just super! The detail in the whites is perfect and the composition is so dynamic. :+1:

Egrets are easy to photograph badly, but this really does justice to the bird, as the tonal quality is perfect. The bluish facial skin is a nice contrasting touch. Brilliant!

Hi Diane
You have given us a vary nice dreamy white on white photograph. Thank you.
Peter