Great White Egret with nesting material

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

One of the few worth saving from the morning at the local rookery last week.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-05-17 at 2.14.27 PM

in LR, linear profile to tame contrast a little (even that has its limits). Into PS for Topaz NR and about 30% cropped away. Brought up the fog a bit with curves, just brushed into that area to spare the bird.

1 Like

Hi Diane, nice catch with the leafy twig adding a lot of interest. Nice flight pose with both wings outstretched and good details. I like the clouds in the background too. Well done.

Nice wing position and angle to the viewer, Diane. Like Allen, the leafy little twig adds a lot to this image. To my eye, the shadows on the bird, particularly the face seem a bit dark, though you mentioned using a linear profile to tame them.

Thanks, @Allen_Sparks and @Dennis_Plank – the raw file was very high contrast and I tried to tame it, but I was in a rush – looking at the histogram there is too much of the curve in the middle with not enough tapering on either end. We’re heading out tomorrow for about 5 days and I’ll try a redo when I get back.

A beautiful bird in a great pose. Both wings stretched out and it kind of looks like it just took off. The twig in its beak makes this image more than a nice photo a bird in flight and adds a story element to the image. I also like the clouds adding a bit more interest in the negative space and adds framing. The shadows are a bit distracting, but the wings are nicely backlit.

Hi Diane
Is this Great Egret presenting an offering to the new (Nightscape & Astro Moderator) congratulations. Over all the whites are controlled with good detail. There is not much you do to tame the clipping on the Egret wing tips.
Peter

Diane, I’m not sure how I missed this one. Just so many great photos on the site to view and comment on! I will use that for an excuse. Nice catch of him bringing a little something to the nest.