Great White Egrets nesting + RP

Had to try a cleanup:

Original:

Image Description

I stumbled on this in the archives and am hoping it will be an omen for the upcoming nesting season here. From 10 years ago, at Lake Martin, LA.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

By the time I found about this place, they were nesting way too far from the road. Frustrating. I should/could remove some of the sticks in front of them.

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-03-19 at 8.24.41 PM

Reworked from the raw file with today’s LR develop module, then into PS for a little more highlight recovery with Nik CEP Tonal Contrast. Slight crop from both sides and the top.

4 Likes

This is a wonderful photo…and how nice to find it after 10 years. I think the detail and colours are great. The focus is the dance between the birds! Lovely!

Wonderful photo, Diane. Yes, clearly the sticks are there, but the interaction between the two Egrets is so amazing, at least for me, they totally take center stage!

This is a lovely shot of these Egrets. I love how they are interacting together. The tones of the whites are beautiful and the background is spot on. Yes, there’s branches in front of the birds, but the birds shine through them. I always tell myself, this is just how nature looks and the branches lets the photograph be real. I’m guessing the extra time you spend revising this image really paid off. Wonderful, Diane.

This is simply beautiful Diane! The light, detail, comp, all are excellent. I love the background as well. Yes, you could remove the branches for a cleaner look, but I tend to agree with Donna’s comment that the branches add a sense of nature to the image.

I really like this one, @Diane_Miller. What a nice “find” after a decade. I didn’t really even notice the branches in front of the birds. You handled the whites exceptionally well. Well done.

Beautiful photo, Diane. The lighting and center stage the birds have are amazing. I am ok with the sticks as part of the environment. You could practice and see if you want to try removing but that will be difficult because of the fine details behind them.

This is a beautiful shot Diane, quite etherial with the whites of the birds wonderfully contrasting the softness of the rest of the frame.
I would try to loose some of the twigs, it’s quite a cloning job but maybe the top ones they are the most distracting

Hi Diane,

This is really good, and it’s a good reminder of where the iconic " :heart: Shape" come from.

The whites were exposed and processed really well!

Nicely done!

Diane-- You have been holding out on us. This one is darn good and everything from sharpness to exposure is spot on. The lime green area on the bare skin of the egrets is typical for breeding coloration in this species. The captured behavior also makes this image unique. The sticks in the foreground help tie everything together. Awesome…Jim

Hi Diane, I like how the heads of the bird are over the sticks and unobstructed. The green breeding colors on the bird are great. Nice poses also. Well done.

Wow, a stunning image. Glad you pulled it out of the archives. Great detail in a good setting with a nice complementary background.

HI Diane
Not fair. Even your 10 year old photograph are great. I am hoping this year the Egret population will be on the come back. I bow to you.
Peter

1 Like

Diane, this is truly Avian Art. Wow.

Wow back – thanks everyone – @Robena.Sirett, @linda_mellor, @Donna_Callais, @Steve_Kennedy, @terryb, @Dean_Salman, @Ryan_H, @Merv, @Jim_Zablotny, @Allen_Brooks, @Allen_Sparks, @peter and @David_Bostock! But I couldn’t resist some cleanup – posted above. Hope it isn’t overdone. The comparatively poor quality of the old sensor made it a challenge.

1 Like

Nicely done, Diane!

1 Like

Clean up post looks excellent! What a dreamy shot.

Worth doing, it makes a big difference