Green-Eyed

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I saw this Green-Eyed Bee on our flowers today, so got the camera with the 180mm macro lens and took a few shots of him.

Specific Feedback

Composition good? I cropped in a little bit from the left and bottom and top a little. It was just mostly green BG on the left, a bit more of the petals that I thought were needed on the bottom. I liked that I got below the bee, making him seem even more intimidating.

Technical Details

Shot with Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 180mm L macro lens and KX-800 twin flash at 1/2 power. Manual settings at 1/200, f10, ISO 320. Minor edits in LR.

1 Like

He mostly definitely is intimidating, Shirley, especially from the angle you have gotten.
The composition totally works for me with the yellow surrounding him on the lower and right sides. And the green background couldn’t be better to highlight the bee.
Very nicely seen and captured!

1 Like

So cool!! Looks like it could pass for a studio shot. Insect eyes and faces are amazing and you captured the essence of this one. I could see taking some more off the right and doing a gradient burn from the bottom to give more emphasis to the fascinating detail on the bee.

2 Likes

OMG Shirley! You certainly haven’t lost your touch. She is just gorgeous. Pretty much every bee you see (or ant for that matter) is female. Drones…well, they’re just important for one thing basically. This is a lovely girl. So sharp and busy and that tongue!! Woah. The one thing I might try is to take down the luminosity and brightness of the flowers themselves. Otherwise give yourself the EP. I’ll look the other way! :laughing:

2 Likes

Great use of flash here, Shirley, and so interesting to see detail in a bee’s face that we more often get to see from dragonflies or spiders. I might crop a bit from the right and straighten her, but I’m being churlish!

1 Like

What an awesome image, Shirley! :slight_smile:

I do believe you achieved your goal! :slight_smile:

Just great in every way in my view! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, Shirley! This is definitely an imposing view, showing excellent details in both the flower’s center and the bee’s head. I might try a bit more of a crop from the left and top, but having the bee this close to center is likely to add to the strength of it’s presence, which is an important part of this view.

2 Likes