Green Heron Approach

Flying in:

The green herons are starting to migrate out of my area and aren’t so common. Thought I’d share this recent series of photos I took about a week ago at the neighborhood lake.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III
ISO 640, f6.3, 1/2500s, hand held

Wonderful! Super clean shooting and processing with a long effective focal length – well done!

I love these Allen. The crest in the first two is just so cute. With it down the bird seems less playful and more all business. Great wing position in the first two. Light to die for as well. I don’t know how you do it, but I’m glad you do! The third one seems a bit cyan to me. Interesting that you can see lighter “stripes” on the forward primaries there. I assume it’s some kind of variation in the feathers themselves since it seems to be symmetrical across both wings. Maybe my feather ID book will have some information or photos of that for this bird.

Very good, Allen. I like all three. The third is my favorite only because the dark backgrounds of the first two give them a bit of a “flashed” look, though I know they aren’t.

Hi Allen
The detail on the Green Heron is outstanding. I can see Dennis point on a flash look, maybe bring up the background would solve that look. Very nice work.
Peter

Hi, Allen. Really nice series. Looks like you have that R7 working for you. I’m partial to #2 - it just seems to have caught my eye the most. But all three are fine images. Well done.

First and third work best for me. Simplicity there. I like the composition on the colors. You are fortunate to have these birds close your vicinity.

Allen, I really like the lighting on the first post and the “wheels down for landing” pose. The blue to green background in #3 is also very nice.

All 3 of them are very good, Allen, but I really like the first one the best, I think. Looks like the R7 is working very well with birds in flight. So glad. I’m hoping that in the coming weeks I will get to check out how the R5 does for me. Excellent images.