Green Heron in flight

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Green Herons are still in our area but I expect they will start migrating fairly soon. I caught these in flight poses recently at a local park.

Specific Feedback

Any.
I like the fully stretched out neck in the first image.

Technical Details

First image: Canon R7, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary,
ISO 800, f6.3, 1/2500s, hand held

Second image: Canon R7, Canon 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III
ISO 1600, f5.6, 1/2000s, hand held

Hi Allen
Is it my imagination or is the Sigma lens that much sharper than the Canon? In the first frame, I keep wanting to say"beep-beep". I think you could look at opening up the second frame. Nice work.
Peter

Oh man am I still so jealous. My one and only greenie sighting was brief and from a long distance. Oh well. At least I can live vicariously through your photos. Was the first one soon after lift off? The head and feet positions aren’t what we normally see for these guys in flight - they look more like your second shot. And yeah, they are a bit road-runnery aren’t they?

Hi Kris, yes it was. Good catch. The second one was too just a little further out.

Hi Peter, no, the Sigma isn’t sharper than the Canon prime. Actually the Canon performs much better on the R7 in general. In this case, any difference is probably motion blur or just an autofocus anomaly.

Love the first one particularly, Allen. Just doesn’t look aerodynamically stable and probably isn’t, but the birds are much more able to rearrange the CG than an airplane.

Allen, these are wonderful in-flight shots of a Green Heron. I especially like the first one, the lighting is better I think. I am totally satisfied with my Sigma 150-600 mm Contemporary lens. If ever I find any lack of sharpness, I can blame me for it. Nicely done in both shots, and I rarely have had the opportunity to catch an in-flight of theses, so it makes it special.