Green Herons this morning

I visited my neighborhood lake boat dock before church this morning. The green herons gave me three good fly bys. I believe these are juveniles that were probably the ones born and raised by the dock this year. I expect them to migrate fairly soon.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III
ISO 640, f6.3, 1/2500s, hand held

1 Like

Killer series, Allen! The R7 seems to fit you like a glove. I really like the colors you can see in the first one with the whole back facing us. Recently I went kayaking with 6 other people so didn’t bring my camera, so of course I sneaked up on a greenie and it sat there, sunning and preening forever until the group scared it off. The universe was simultaneously giving me the finger and showing me the way. Next year (unless I can do it this year before it’s too cold) I might get my greenie on this small lake. I forgot how little they are - barely bigger than a kingfisher. And so colorful. I forgot that, too. Still, I myself am green at your time with these gorgeous little birds. Thanks for sharing so many great shots.

1 Like

Wonderful, all three! These guys are speedy – good work! I think you’re liking the camera!

1 Like

Nice flight package, Allen. I rarely get a chance to capture these little greenies perched much less in flight. Around here they are very shy and fast. I kayak a river that parallels the Erie Canal. I see a lot of them there, but I haven’t been there since I purchased my 200mm - 600 mm lens. These shots make me want to take a trip to the Erie. Thanks for posting these amazing shots.

1 Like

Very nice flight shots. The second is my favorite as I like the wing position and it gives us the closest look. Great job.

1 Like

Really nice series, Allen. Looks like you have the R7 figured out. But of course, that’s just part of the equation. The skill behind the camera is what counts most. Good job.

1 Like

All three are excellent, Alan. These birds sure give you a lot of great shots.

1 Like

I’m really liking that first banking shot Allen. Great view of the feet and the top of the wing and a wonderful backdrop to shoot against. Good of this guy to give you activity while you were there. I love what @Kris_Smith said, “The universe was simultaneously giving me the finger and showing me the way.” Happens every time I don’t take the camera with me. I feel you Kris! :joy:

1 Like

Nice ones! Looks like a fun shoot!

1 Like

Hi Allen
The R7 looks very sharp and has nice color balance. Of course the person pointing the camera was also doing great job, following the Heron’s. All 3 shots look great and if I had to pick one number 2 stands out.
Peter

1 Like

Superb series here. I like the last one because of the color in the background. Beautiful flight positions.

1 Like

Allen, these are all great images and would look good on a wall. That R7 is doing a great job for you. I was able to point my R5 at a few wading birds while up in Virginia. Didn’t have very long (less than an hour) to shoot, but I really enjoyed it. Got a few good shots, I think. Didn’t see any Green Herons. You are really fortunate to have them close by.

1 Like