Green Heron in Pre-Dawn Light w/Rework

Reworked:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Green Heron (Butorides Virescens)

This was taken last September, just before sunrise. It was very dark. The light highlighted the bird, but not the background. I took several shots of this fellow, but I really like the pose on this one.

Specific Feedback

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

600mm, 1/640sec @ f/8, ISO 6400. Pre process in DXO Photolab for sharpening and noise reduction, then Capture One for the remainder of the processing.

1 Like

I like the pose, David. The bird is nice and sharp with a nice view of the eye. Though it’s not the case, the lighting has the look of a flash image with the stark contrast between the foreground and background and the minimal shadows on the bird. You might be able to reduce that look by pulling up the background some or you might prefer this look.

I would try to increase the shadows on the bird slightly and tweak up the temperature as there is a slight cyan cast to the image. The black BG looks OK and would be interested to see what the image would look like if you pulled up the BG as Dennis suggested. Well done…Jim

@Dennis_Plank and @Jim_Zablotny thanks for your comments and suggestions. Here’s a revision. Let me know what you think. I think the rock is giving me the most grief. This was taken at blue hour, so trying to get realistic colors has been a struggle.

Hi David, this looks good to me especially the repost with a little lighter background. I like the pose with the head turn and uplifted leg. Given this was what you saw at that time of day, if it were mine I wouldn’t go much further in trying to make it look like a different time of day.

1 Like

Nice pose and detail. I like the re-post as it seems to have less of the flash effect Dennis mentioned.

@Allen_Sparks and @Allen_Brooks thanks for the comments. I posted the reworked version up in the original post.

Regards,
David

Gorgeous light, David. Wow. And that pose is just intense. Love the lifted foot. Looks like he’s about to head out for a fish dinner. I think something in between the two would work well. That light is special and you don’t want to diminish too much. Great capture, David!

1 Like