Green herons

It’s almost time for the green herons to move south out of my home area so I thought I’d share some of my latest images from the neighborhood lake.

Landing at first light. ISO 640, f6.3, 1/1600s

A tiny catch. ISO 640, f7.1, 1/1600s

Seen yesterday foraging. ISO 640, f7.1, 1/2000s

Canon 7D2, Sigma 150-600 C, hand held

Hope y’all aren’t tired of seeing these herons - they are one of my faves.
Any comments appreciated.

PhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
@allensparks.wildlife

1 Like

All 3 images are well composed and nice shots. The one that really stands out for me, is the landing shot, because of the moment and the warm light it flies into.
Grt, Ingrid.

I agree with Ingrid. All three shots are great. The reflections and water droplets really add to the story but the bird landing with the spread wings and light really shines in my opinion. Thank you for sharing.

All are wonderful! I rarely see Green Herons but from what I have seen, you have managed very accurate colors here. Commendable sharpness and detail on the first one – but is it taking off instead of landing – from the trailing droplets? Or did it just do a touch-and-go?

Hi Diane, thanks! It was definitely landing here - must have been a short trip.

I like them all, Allen, with the third being my favorite. When you have such a charismatic species handy and cooperative, it’s always good to spend lots of time with them. You never know when something might happen to prevent it in the future.