Green-winged Teal Landing

Taken at Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge this morning right after sunrise. Lots of ducks in the marshes and each species seems to have its own spot with little intermingling. This is a little unorthodox composition but in order to get the landing path in the water, it gets cropped this way.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Any pertinent technical details:

Iso-1000, 200-500 at 500 mm, F8, 1250th, handheld, D 500, Adobe camera raw 11, Topaz adjust, TK sharpening action at 20%. This is a large crop, less than 25% of full frame.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi David,

Leave this one as presented…Jim

Great shot, David. I like it this way. That landing trail tells the story. Wonderful detail, color, and reflection.

Very cool, David. This is one of those images that looks so much better viewed large. I don’t have any nits at all on this one.

Bird looks to be razor sharp, and I like the skidded-over water. I do wish the bird was angled a bit more towards the viewer, but I do think the image works. I’d run a round of noise reduction on the reeds in the top of the background. Also, looks like I need to try that TK sharpening action. I’d never considered using it on birds!

Normally I would place more open space in front of the bird but the long skid mark I think is more important. Very sweet shot!