Grounded By Heavy Fog

The good news was that the rain storm cleared up. The bad news was that it got colder and heavy fog rolled in. The fog was so thick the eagles weren’t flying. This juvenile Bald Eagle was just biding its time on a pile of driftwood near the river.

Sony a6500, SEL200600G @ 600 mm, ISO-800, f/6.3, 1/320, hand held.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I am sure enjoying this shot, Gary. That fog just makes this shot seem a bit mysterious. The perch he is sitting on is interesting. Hard to believe that the weather can ground even the eagles!

Nice pose and composition, Gary, and excellent detail in the bird. I like the foggy background. I do find the log pointing toward the viewer to be a bit of a distraction.

Hi Gary, nice mood conveyed in this image with the fog. Nice that the details in the bird can be discerned even with the fog. Agree with Dennis about the large log on the perch but it’s by no means a deal breaker to me. A fine image.

Another nice look at a juvenile bald eagle. The foggy environment creates a nice mood and the look on its face suggests unhappiness with the situation. One thought might be a tighter crop, taking some off the right and the bottom-cropping across the perch to remove the stump end. I think that might reduce the impact of the perch.