Ground Effect

A mature Bald Eagle flying very low over the river. It looks like it’s taking advantage of the ‘ground effect phenomena’ but actually was just leaving after being chased away from a salmon carcass by a juvenile eagle. I liked how the one wing tip is just barely touching the water in this shot. I cropped it into a bit of a panorama because I caught it in the bottom of the frame and the top was just more of the rocky shore.

Sony a6500, FE200600G @ 200 mm, ISO-250, f/5.6, 1/4000, hand held.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Exquisite detail. The crop works well and having the wing just barely in the water is a nice bonus. Great job. :+1:

Considering the situation with limited room, this turned out really well. Superb detail, wing position and the icing on the cake wing tip touching the water. The only thing I might consider adding would be a vignette to somewhat darken the highlights on the rocks in the background. Well done.

Man! I can’t stop looking at it. What a shot. That precise moment of it touching the water, the bent wingtips. Perfection, I say.

Great detail you got here. Well done.