Gulf Fritillary + repost

Found this butterfly yesterday at a local community gardens.

Canon 7D2, 70-200 IS II, 1.4X TC
ISO 640, f16. 1/400s, hand held

Just for grins, I did a color replacement on the dirt background using the green in the leaves in lower right of the image. Let me know what you think of this:

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@allensparks.wildlife

Allen, he is a real beauty. I love the angle of the BF in the frame. I think the color replacement worked out nicely. I don’t think I have ever thought to do that. I really like how the oranges in the flower compliment the orange of the BF. Very nice.

Beautiful butterfly Allen. The replacement green background works for me. Like Shirley, I’m going to have to give that a try. Nicely done.

Hi,

I like the first version over the second. In the second version, the green appears to be too uniform. The butterfly is perfect and it just fits comfortably in the frame. Well done…Jim

Allen: Really good capture and comp. I like both presentations with a tiny preference for the second. Really well done.>=))>

Very nice butterfly well captured. Lovely colors. I like both versions, but lean toward the original. The brown color of the dirt is not distracting as the color of the butterfly is strong enough to keep the attention to itself.

Allen, the orange on orange looks great and you’ve got excellent details in the BF. The background in the original version fits well (although you could also burn it in slightly to reduce it’s impact. I think the subtle difference in how you cropped the two also works better in your original post.

@Shirley_Freeman, @linda_mellor, @Jim_Zablotny, @Bill_Fach, @ravi, @Mark_Seaver,
Thank you for the comments!
I tried Mark’s advice to burn down the original background for another option:

1 Like

That helped, in my opinion, Allen. It was already a nice image, but even better now.

2 Likes