Hairy Woodpecker

Photo was taken this past July. 7DII, 500mm, f/4, 1/320, ISO 400., A slight crop from top and then I kind of squared the sides off. I keep thinking this is not level but the bg tree behind bird is vertical. I followed the woodpecker hoping to get a shot with some wood chips flying . She wasn’t really drilling a hole so much as just a quick punch thru the loose bark to try and grab a morsel. The hunting was like a Robin on a grass lawn the way they cock their heads to listen and then go after worm. Same with the woodpecker only after small grubs. And here she has one.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Hi David
The perspective look good to me . The Woodpecker detail and coloring look vary nice and the wood chip in the bill is a plus. Nice work.
Peter

Nicely captured action in a great setting! Wonderful detail and tonalities on the woodpecker, and a very pleasing BG. The trunk is very interesting but it may be competing with the bird a bit. Maybe a little more crop from the right, or burn it a bit, or a little of both?

Thanks @peter and @Diane_Miller Feedback is always good. And some good suggestions Diane. I might try a little darker trunk and brighter bird just to see.

I see why you might have trouble with the level in this one, David, but this angle works well for me. Very good detail in the woodpecker. The trunks they’re perching on are often a problem with woodpeckers, but the angle this one’s at works nicely-it doesn’t seem to pull my eye.