Hairy Woodpecker (juv)

Taken about an hour ago. I was standing in a portable blind on my front porch in this juvenile Hairy Woodpecker mail landed right in front of me. I have a family of Hairy Woodpeckers and Downy Woodpeckers coming to my feeders. They almost look identical but the Hairy Woodpeckers are nearly twice the size of the Downey’s.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Iso-800, 100-400 at 268 mm, F5 .6, 800th, A7R3, handheld, 60% of full frame

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Nice close look with good detail. One foot forward, one back-wonder if that’s typical.

Wonderful, natural image ! Today I also saw some, I guess, but couldn’t do the size comparison at the spot … Anyway, nice light and nice pose ! Cheers, Hans

Hi David,
Hairies are pretty rare around here so I’d consider this a special catch if it was mine. I like the perch and pose - a good look at the under belly. I think maybe some eye clean up would help and perhaps another round of noise reduction on the background. Nice capture.

Very good detail, David, and a nice species to get. They don’t seem as common or confiding as the Downy’s do. I’m a bit surprised that there appears to be some noise in the bird’s plumage which I wouldn’t expect at those settings.

Yup, I was experimenting and it was several stops underxposed…