Hanging In There

Sony A77II
Minolta 200mm macro
ISO 800, 1/320 @ f13
Cruising around the garden this morning and came across this orb weaver. It was fascinating watching it zip around the web as if it was on ice. I was amazed at how fast it could traverse the web. There was very little breeze but of course any kind of zephyr would move it just enough to spoil focus. My old trusty 200mm doesn’t AF at the speed of my 70-400 so I had to try to focus manually. Thank goodness for the delete button! Please view LARGE. All comments welcome. >=))>

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Hi Bill… I think the focus and sharpness on this is just tremendous. The details in the web and hairs are spot on. Placement and simplification of the majority/noncentral parts of the web is also helping the presentation. The sidelighting brightens substantially the L. side of the spider which is similar to the luminance values of the web just around him/her. The complexity of the web in this area almost merges with the spiders legs and body making it a little challenging to discriminate the spider from the surrounding web. It almost looks like he’s stuck in his own web. Colors look good, and background is great - nondistracting and largely monochromatic. Let me know your thoughts on the above and thanks for sharing.

Amazing detail and structure in the photo image. The focus was dead on so the manual focus really paid off. It is amazing to see these tiny insects do what they need to do. When taking photos of bees I am amazed they little things insects do, watching this I bet was enjoyable are your were capturing the photos.

A great look at this Orb Spider and his home, Bill. Nice details, and I am impressed that you nabbed this with manual focus. Great composition, nice oof background, and just a nice overall image of this little guy.

Bill, an outstandingly detailed look at this spider on her web. The details in the spider are amazing and you’ve got a fine comp. with web lines leading in and a nice clean look at the inner bits.

Sharpness is great Bill, especially enlarged. Really cool looking at all of his/her details and that green background sets her off nicely. I think I had one of these near my garage a few years ago and they do move fast across that web. Thanks for sharing.