Happy Dance

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I got this capture right after a pair of CA quail took a dirt bath together. I just happened to get a sequence of the male briefly jumping and flapping as they were walking away. I can’t say for sure but I am thinking this guy was happy.

Specific Feedback

Anything? I slightly brought up his shadow side. Even though he is slightly angling away, I still think it’s an interesting pose. What say you?

Technical Details

Z9, 180-600 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, monopod, 1/1600th, f 9.0, 1260mm, ISO 1600, cropped to 3783 x 2994

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

This gives the impression of a take-off, Dave. I like the detail in the quail, but do wish it wasn’t facing away, though that’s what usually happens. The background is a bit bright and tends to pull my eye past the bird. I think darkening it and adding some blur in the upper 2/3 of the background would help make the quail pop more.

Hi Dave, I like the wing position and as Dennis states too bad the bird is facing away. Still a nice pose with the fanned tail.