Happy New Year!

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I always have to shoot something interesting on NY Day, to get the year started off right. Sunrise at the Laguna was a near-miss – potentially good conditions but the water level wasn’t high enough. But the coast is always reliable. Recent storms caused very high waves last week but the holidays interfered. Surf was back to normal yesterday but that’s not bad. The road to the lower view was still closed but a telephoto from the bluff is a tolerable alternative.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 7.42.18 AM

Slight crop top and right, slight tonal adjustments in LR, mostly bringing down Highlights a little and a touch of Clarity and Vibrance. Denosie in PS – hardly noticeable at this size – and very minor edge cleanup.

1 Like

Diane, the photo for me captured the atmosphere of this windy day on the sea.
A beautiful New Year also for you!

Lovely, you nailed the exposure here, very refreshing to see a sea image that doesn’t use a long exposure, it allows the raw power of the water to come through.

And happy new year to you! Very nice capture of the power of waves. I like the diagonal flow of the wave crest that adds to the sense of power.

Hi Diane, I like the curves in this image. The curve of the spray from left to right then merging into the round roll of the wave in the center. Beautiful!
Happy New Year to you!

Happy New Year Diane!

Fantastic capture! I especially love the spray above the main wave. That spray detail really makes the image for me.

No nits or suggestions for improvement. As already mentioned, exposure, processing… all of it, well done!

Lon

Thanks, @Giuseppe_Guadagno, @Tomas_Frydrych, @DeanRoyer, @annlouiselyman and @Lon_Overacker! I got lucky that there was a little offshore breeze to model the spindrift. The sun wasn’t right for rainbows, though. And the waves weren’t high enough for the best action – back in the morning for better conditions!