Hardy Fuchsia

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Does the stem exiting the frame distract you?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Fuchsia, a genus of flowering plants that consists mostly of shrubs or small trees. There are currently almost 110 recognized species of Fuchsia widely cultivated for their showy, drooping, purplish, reddish, or white flowers. The genus Fuchsia , was named as an honorarium for German Physician and Botanist, Leonhart Fuchs. The species name, F. magellanica, refers to its native environment of southern Chile and Argentina near the Magellan Straits. Flowers are prolific and bloom from early May to first frost in our PNW climate.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 30D; Canon EF 100mm macro; f/22 @ 2.5 sec, +1 EV, ISO 100 Gitzo tripod, RRS BH 55, remote trigger

Specific Feedback

Whatever you wish, positive or otherwise.

Nice job, Bob. Sometimes I like seeing some context, but for a flower like this, the plain black background is hard to beat.

Thank you @Dennis_Plank for your “exception” here. These plants have so many blooms packed together that it is nearly impossible to isolate one from the group except physically.

I agree- with Fuchsia you either just enjoy a mass without taking a photo - or do what you have done so successfully, Bob. It’s a fine specimen. Did you use a black card for the BG?

Thank you @Mike_Friel for your observations. There was no black card. I separated the single bloom by generating a selection delineating it. The background was on another layer filled with rich black. The bloom was exposed via a layer mask using the selection.

1 Like

Beautiful Image… Really pops out

Thank you @Gill_Vanderlip for your kind remarks.