Harlequin Ducks

In spring, Yellowstone hosts migrating Harlequin Ducks for a short time. Many of them congregate at this one spot on the Yellowstone River. The ducks are excellent swimmers and seem to love rapids. They spend a lot of time navigating the white water and diving under the surface to find food. It’s a great spot to capture them with both fast and slow shutter speeds.

On this particular day, it was a surprise to see this pair in late June (weeks after most of their brethren had left), but that made for a perfect setup. A snowstorm had just ended, so it was overcast, and the river was extra high and powerful with added snowmelt. I managed to nail my best long exposures from this spot to date (there’s another one I like even more than this), and a decade later I have yet to get anything matching the couple of good shots I landed then.

Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 500mm + 1.4x
ISO 100
1/8
f/25

Max

@maxwaughphoto
3 Likes

So nice of the ducks to pose for you for 1/8 sec!! Their sharpness and detail is so nice with the blurred water, which is very interesting with the bit of spray.

1 Like

Thanks Diane. The movement of the ducks is what really make these captured difficult, and why the “throw-away” rate is normally close to about 98%. :wink:

That is a great shot Max. I can see why it would be hard to beat over the years. I love the look of the water with the shutter speed you used and, like Diane, appreciate how sharp the ducks are.

1 Like

The texture in the water is wonderful and the Ducks posed like professional’s.

1 Like

Max, the sense of motion in the river is excellent with the color and sharpness of the ducks making a great contrast. That splash on their right balances with them very well. I’ll have to look for Harlequins on my next trip to YNP.

1 Like

Hi Max,

I found this spot on our last trip out to Yellowstone. I like the composition and your exposure of the moving water makes this a very dramatic scene. Awesome…Jim

1 Like

1/8th of a second! you must have been effectively quite close to them!! Love the water around - just right!

1 Like

Barnegat NJ right now - if you are close enough Mark

1 Like