Hawai'ian Forest during a Storm

My wife and I visited Hawai’i for the first time last February and found a nice difficult backpacking trip to get away from all the hustle and bustle. We left our campsite a day early because it was looking stormy and since the trail was sketchy while dry, it would be really bad while wet.

On the way back we got absolutely crushed by a rainstorm. For a few moments the rain went from a complete deluge to a nice sprinkle. I looked up and saw this really nice scene here so I took out my camera, put on a rain cover, somehow fired off a couple of long exposures without the leaves moving, and packed up and kept going right as the deluge started again. At this point we had another 7 strenuous miles to civilization so we stayed at a man-made wooden shelter with a roof that we knew was along the trail. It kept pouring all day and all night. In the morning it was dry and we hiked back the rest of the way.

One of my favorite things about backpacking is how a smooth wood floor with a roof can feel downright luxurious. Being grateful is one of my favorite states of mind, so by removing the normal comforts of life, you can find a lot more moments of gratitude while roughing it. This was a rough adventure but I also look back on it as some of the best days of my life.

A beautiful view of the forest, Brent. I love the mist. This is one of those cases where a white sky still works very well.

Nice framing of the Madrona or eucalyptus like tree. Hawaii is an amazing place for rainstorms and I guess it snowed on some of the lower elevations last week.

Brtent, you found a nice clear look at those trees in the center with fine surroundings. The mist and white sky help create a fine mood.

Brent,

Visions of “Gorillas in the Mist” - although I don’t think there’s any in Hawaii… :roll_eyes:

Great mood, atmosphere here and I enjoyed the backstory. Good thing you included it as well, since I don’t really get a sense of the “deluge” or a storm; more just of a quiet, misty rain forest. And that’s quite ok, a wonderful rain forest scene.

Lon

Great dark and foreboding mood!! I like Lon’s Gorillas take. I like this a lot.

Brent, great story and a very nice scene! You did a good job of describing how" luxurious" is very relative! I find these scenes very difficult to compose and this one works beautifully! It almost looks like it could be back in the midwest on a foggy morning!
Well done!

Thanks everyone!