He just was there

Do not ask me it’s name. I think this tree is majestic as he was standing there for me to make this image.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Did I do the tree right ?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? All feedback is welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

F11, 1/40, iso100, 24-7- lens at 48mm, handheld

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
4 Likes

Oh my! This is very good. It’s not just the tree itself but the color mixture of the entire image. It just reconfirms that a restrictive color pallets works really well. Like those Dutch landscapes from the Rembrandt era that were so good with light.

2 Likes

Ben,
Majestic indeed! The lighting here is just magical and the fog creates quite the mood IMO. This is being real nit picky, but I could see just a bit more canvas on the right side as it is a little tight. I also think a little crop from the left would get rid of a little bit of that empty sky. Just some small tweaks because this is lovely as is. This is a beautiful tree dripping with character.

1 Like

In the recent Ask Me Anything with Erin Babnik, I asked her for advice on how to create compelling images of forests and woodlands. One of her answers was that trees can have a lot of individual character, and that it pays to take time studying their character. @Ed_Lowe hits the nail on the head, this tree is just dripping with character. The fog, and your processing of color add to that character as well, but it is the shape of this tree that carries the image. Thus I like how you centered the tree and filled the frame with it. But I also hope you can add a bit more breathing room on the right, it does feel too clipped as presented. This image is so nice that it would be well worth the effort to add canvas and do Content Aware Fill to add some breathing room, if you don’t have it in the original.

1 Like

I love a tree with character, and that one has it in spades. Allowing the tree to carry the show by letting it dominate the frame was a good choice; I do agree about a touch more room on the right.

The colors and clarity are hard for me to sort out. The tree is misty in places but not in others, and there is a green tint to the image overall. Were these processing choices?

1 Like

I echo everything that @Igor_Doncov mentioned. This is exceptional. The color is probably not “realistic” but I don’t care. It’s very very good, Ben. Thanks for sharing this with us.

1 Like

Super image, Ben. Enough said.

1 Like

Ben,

How about “If Trees could Talk…” I’ll bet this majestic character has many stories to tell. what an awesome tree and you’ve captured (and processed) quite the enchanted image of this character.

I couldn’t begin to offer any suggestions for improvement - OTHER, than to agree with the Ed’s about needing some extra space on the right. It’s not like it’s a big deal… but the tips of those branches are so close and begging to breach the edge of the frame. Maybe just a nitpicky thing for us… but think about having a mat overlay if you frame this…? :slight_smile:

Love just about everything else about this.

Lon

1 Like

@Lon_Overacker, @Adhika_Lie, @Ed_Lowe, @Igor_Doncov, @John_Williams, @Ed_McGuirk, @Han_Schutten,Thank you all for these for me overwhelming comments. As always it’s a matter of taste to me. I like my solution with little breathing room on the right. But I have made an other one to see the difference . In my opinion this one with the breathing room looks a bit dull. So the beauty of photography is also personal taste by making an image. I am very curious to your opinions!!
oudeboomherstel|690x460

The light. Wow. Mood and colors are gorgeous. Well done.

1 Like

Ben,
I do like your repost with a little more breathing room on the right; to my eye it seems to be better balanced and not as cramped. It would be boring if everyone liked the same thing so ultimately up to you to go with what you are comfortable with.

1 Like

A beautiful image and the adjusted re-post seems just right to my eye, Ben. I enjoy your work.