Heaven's Gate

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

During my last visit to Dolomotes in last June, almost every day started with extreme rain & fog, Usually those kind of days look a bit disappointing initially but we always had our up for some good light during the sunset.
One of those days during the fog we had a short break in the rain and sun started to appear giving some nice light towards the mountains.

Technical Details

Shot using a drone DJI Mini 3 Pro

1 Like

It looks like you made great use of the weather there - The foreground looks well exposed with great detail. Composition is very pleasing and overall you have handled the sky well - not easy to do!

Hi Idan,
the Dolomites have so many beautiful mountain peaks. We often drive around there by car in bad weather and stop when we see interesting peaks. You can then make dramatic images with a long lens.

You used a drone here and found a nice and dramatic scene as well. I really like the X-shape that is created by the rocks. And the light that comes through the mist at the top of the image adds to the drama.

There is something that bothers me slightly. I have the feeling that the image is not leveled correctly. My brain would like to rotate the picture counterclockwise to straighten it out.
But it’s probably just my impression. I think the drone is already doing it correctly.

Your picture reminds me that I definitely have to visit the Dolomites again soon.

Dramatic view with a wonderful sky! I don’t know how wide angle the drone camera is but wonder if some wide angle correction is worth a look? Is this a crop? It’s the left half that looks off. But a wonderful opportunity!

I really like the geometric lines and transition from a highly detailed and textured foreground to atmospheric, mysterious/ominous background. The highlight is very well handled and the foreground of fallen rocks is plenty interesting. Overall, a really vivid and beautiful image that conveys the awe-inspiring might of nature. I am not personally bothered by any levelling issues or wide-angle distortion - but it would be interesting to see what results if the observations made by the other members about these things are addressed.