Hellebore

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 400D, Tamron 55-200 @ 100, 1/40 @ f7.1, ISO 400

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

One of our earliest Spring flowers, which I never find easy to photograph, as they cluster and droop. Caught this one facing out of a group in rather dull light, handheld.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Ian: I hear you regarding the difficulty composing these. I like this view and the light works for me. My main suggestion would be to make the partial petal disappear. I did a quick and dirty CA adjustment and crop to show what I mean. >=))>

Beautiful flower Ian. From my perspective, the defused lighting helped with the clarity and detail of the flower. I agree with Bill, about removing the random petal, it was a bit distracting.

Beautiful, Ian. I just love the colors of this flower. I do like what Bill did, I think it brings the eye directly to the subject, without distractions. Nice.

Thanks @Bill_Fach for the comments and rework - I like it !

First flower of spring! But yes it is difficult to photograph because it is usually facing downward. You’ve done an admirable job with this one. I like Bill’s change that eliminates the one petal. Thanks for posting.

Bill, I like the composition, light, and detail in the image and am not as bothered by the partial petal. For me your original composition gives the image a more appealing breathing space.