Hellgate Bridge

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details:

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

It would help to have some details of how you took the image as well as how you processed it. In addition, what was your intent? You may have intended it to look exactly as it is, in which case “Good work”.

To my eye, the light on the bridge appears too bright, even, and saturated to be natural and the sharpness of the bridge compared to the blur in objects that appear to be at the same distance is also odd.

1 Like

Don,

I love your artistic rendition here. I have no idea if the trestle is originally in yellow, but regardless, I think what you’ve produced is quite effective and I love this presentation.

As Rick eludes to though, we have nothing to go by, in terms of your processing techniques, intentions, goals, etc. that would be helpful when looking for comments and critiques.

Not my call, but this is probably more appropriate in Photo Art. Regardless though, kudos for some very creative and effective processing.

Lon

1 Like

Thank you, for your time, Rick. I used a Sony A7R3 with a 24 70mm lens at 70mm. iso 100, F2.8 with a 1/800 shutter speed. The bridge is actually yellow. I used layer masking, luminosity masking, a mild Orten affect, dehazing in ACR, moved the highlight slider to the far left and used some gradients on the sides and bottom of the image to darken it. I did lighten the bridge and saturated portions of it. This was an older image that I could not process to match my vision. So I recently tried again.

My intent was to preserve the realism of the bridge, which is a local land mark, but add a degree of mystery, maybe even a bit of surrealism to part of the image. On this day I was attracted to the fog, which was fast moving, the light on the trees on the left portion of the image and the bridge itself which is the main subject of my vision. I will appreciate any critique or suggestion

Thank you, for your time, Lon. I used a Sony A7R3 with a 24 70mm lens at 70mm. iso 100, F2.8 with a 1/800 shutter speed. The bridge is actually yellow. I used layer masking, luminosity masking, a mild Orten affect, dehazing in ACR, moved the highlight slider to the far left and used some gradients on the sides and bottom of the image to darken it. I did lighten the bridge and saturated portions of it. This was an older image that I could not process to match my vision. So I recently tried again.

My intent was to preserve the realism of the bridge, which is a local land mark, but add a degree of mystery, maybe even a bit of surrealism to part of the image. On this day I was attracted to the fog, which was fast moving, the light on the trees on the left portion of the image and the bridge itself which is the main subject of my vision. I will appreciate any critique or suggestion

Don: The brightness of the bridge certainly grabs ones attention but I like it. Marvelous conditions and some nice processing choices. I haven’t done anything with the Orton effect in some time. You’re giving me ideas. :+1::beers:>=))>

1 Like

Thank you, Bill. I applied the Orton affect on a separate layer and then feathered the bridge back in a more natural state. Also I dodged the shadows after flattening the layers to bring out the natural lighting of the areas surrounding the bridge. Hope this information will help you on your ideas.