Hen Harrier (and Rework)

Rework:

Original:

Our local river in Korea has an embankment which I can drive along - perfect for outdoor armchair photography when a Hen Harrier shows up, like this female did two weeks ago.

Specific Feedback Requested

Just after this, it disappeared upriver behind that vegetation in the LRC. I removed some larger pieces - perhaps I should work some more on this.

Technical Details

D500 + 150-600mm (@600mm) 1/3200 f9 ISO 1600 Hand-held on car window.

The day was overcast so I had to bring out the colours a bit with Shadows and Curves in PS. Then I selected the bird, went to Inverse & brightened the BG.

Mike this is a fine “aerial” view of this hawk. The moderately sharp land below add some extra interest.

1 Like

Interesting and unusual view – very nice, with good detail. There is some magenta near the bottom corners that might be dealt with – probably an artifact from pushing contrast, but in an interesting way they pick up some color from the bird. The cleanup in the LR has left some smudged areas that could maybe be dealt with differently.

1 Like

Hi Mike,
The pattern in the embankment looks very interesting, looks like it has flooded recently and dried up with little to no wind reshaping?
The Hen Harrier is sharp, well defined and well positioned in the frame!

Yeah, that lower corner cold use a little attention but other than that you did very well at defending the art of armchair photography. :slight_smile:

As an afterthought, the bottom could be cropped off a bit? Might be worth a try.

All the best,

1 Like

Thanks for your comments @Diane_Miller @Mark_Seaver and @Merv . I’ve followed your suggestion, Merv, and cropped along the bottom - I think it’s an improvement, so thank you. Rework above. The sand is an area below the bank which, as you suggest, floods frequently and then dries up again, as they often release water from a dam upriver. @Diane_Miller - yep, the smudged areas are a nuisance, but were grasses already out of focus, so I think I’ll leave them to be seen as that!

My bad! Apologies! If you hadn’t said you had cloned in that area I would have thought they were OOF branches! That makes them not a problem.

1 Like

I agree, Mike :slight_smile:
It brings the bird out a little more as well.
Thanks for posting the cropped version so we can see the improvement.

I would be proud of it if it were mine!

Have a great day, Mike
All the best,

1 Like