Heron rookery

This Heron rookery is off Rt 17 in Portland, Ct. A 20-minute walk downhill with a drop of 80ft and of course 80ft up hill. I have not been here for a couple of years and it looks like the Heron’s lost around 20 nests. I am going to make two post, with two photo each. All shots are from a tripod using a cable release. Both photos are taken with a Canon7DII and Sigma 150-600mm. First one ISO 640, F8, 600mm, 1/3200 and cropped by 60%. Number two ISO 400, F8, 500mm, 1/2000 and cropped by 60%. I brought the exposure down .3, adjusted the highlight, midtones and used a local adjustment brush to sharpen the Herons, in DxO Photo Lab3.

Thanks, you for stopping by.

Peter

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

A neat looking rookery, Peter. I like the shot of the Heron bringing in nesting material. The group shot does a good job of giving the general feel of the rookery. It does look like the trees are dead, so this rookery’s days are numbered. I know of a few in this area that were built in the tops of alders and those area clonal species, so they all tend to die off at once and in a few years they’re gone.

Very nice behavior. I’ve never had a good look at a heron rookery like this one. The first post is well composed with good detail and pleasing light.

Oh wow, Peter, thanks for sharing. I have never seen a heron rookery before, either. This is fascinating. I am sure the walk to and from is well worth it.

The first is a nice behavioral shot Peter. Really like the landing pose with the stick being carried in. Good exposure on the bird. Nice image.

Very nice action and environmental shots.