Hi NPN! I'm Sean Bagshaw. Ask Me Anything...no really!

Sean, I was quite impressed by your Before/After example that you posted of “Secret Window” over the summer here: https://community.naturephotographers.network/t/secret-window-before-after-developing-example/7040.

Beyond the technical aspects of the post-processing you shared, I was struck by some of your comments at the end of the article.

Do you feel like the “after” version of the image is authentic to what you experienced in the field? Artistically embellished, but within the bounds of accepted practice? (I apologize; I don’t think I’m articulating my question well – I’m not trying to accuse you of anything)

Your comment about the extended tonal range of modern cameras making the raw file misleading or disheartening is also very curious to me. I’ve shot Sony for a long time now, 10+ years, and I find that I miss the colors of their old a850, but acknowledge that the files from the a7r2 are much more malleable. But I’m generally reluctant to push the files that far because of residual fears of hypersaturation from the early digital years.

It almost makes me want to load a point-and-shoot with some Provia or Velvia and make some record shots in the field so that I’ll have something to reference…

Thanks for any thoughts on the subject.

2 Likes