hidden, 2024

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Does the shallow depth of field impart an intimacy to the photo?
Is the scale determinable?
Can you determine what this is? If you’re not sure, does that make you appreciate the photo less or do you like not knowing?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

I made this photo in my garden this morning as it was snowing heavily. I planted small ornamental grasses in a staggered pattern, anticipating scenes just like this. My camera is only 2-3’ off the ground to enable layering within the photo.

Technical Details

Processed in LR
Basic panel:

Color Mixer panel:

Radial Gradient Mask
Inverted around rough center of image to add vignette
Exposure: -0.23

EXIF settings:

Specific Feedback

Aesthetic: Does the desaturated color please you?
Emotional: Does this simple image hold your attention?
Any other comments welcome.

2 Likes

Very nice, Matt. I love the subtle zig-zag line working its way up through the image and the soft bluish tones. The depth of field works well for my taste.

1 Like

@Dennis_Plank Thanks, Dennis. We’re on the same page.

Very timely photo! (I also live on the front range, definitely no problem recognizing the subject!). I do get a sense of intimacy from the shallow depth of field and I like the depth conveyed by the line that weaves through the mini moguls from front to back.

1 Like

An image full of mystery, and I find myself reluctant to guess at what it is. The cool tones trigger my curiosity without any tension. I just want to travel on that lit path, zigzagging back., and see where it takes me. Full of atmosphere. This speaks to me.

1 Like

@Cathy_Proenza Well, I hope you got to enjoy our snow today because it won’t last long. I got up to shoot the sunrise on the Flatirons this morning and it was very beautiful but clear skies. And now, after some melting and evaporation, it’s foggy again!! I find this dynamic weather such a cool thing. Thank you for your comments and affirmation of my intent to convey intimacy in the image.

@Madeleine_Lenagh Thanks for your personal interpretation, Madeleine. Pleased to hear it resonates with you.

I think this is very lovely – it does hold my attention. All said above! I would not have guessed snow but wondering what it is does keep my attention, along with the subtle lines and shapes. Very well done!

1 Like

Matt, lovely image! Yes the shallow depth of field invites my eyes to the center section and up the zig-zag path. There is some ambiguity of scale as well. I appreciate not knowing the true subject since I’d like my imagination to wander. An effective image for sure. Thank you.

1 Like

Thank you, @Diane_Miller. Pleased to know it holds your attention and curiosity.

Thank you, @Alfredo_Mora. It seems I’ve hit the target with this one, and you’re welcome to keep the subject a mystery.

1 Like

Beautiful image, Matt! I don’t need to know what it is and I don’t want to ask. I’m drawn in by the mysterious, the shapes, the play of shadow and light, the soft curves. And this emphasised by the shallow DOF. More sharpness would have destroyed the feel for me. With this I want to just follow the curves, not knowing where I will end up - curiously.

1 Like